Filmmaker Michael Manese is excited to present his latest short film as writer and director “The Pleasure of Being Served.”
“I like mainstream, Hollywood movies with an edge. My goal is to make movies that are thought provoking, daring, and experimental that can also reach a wide audience. Movies such as ‘Carnal Knowledge,’ ‘Pulp Fiction,’ ‘Annie Hall,’ and ‘Last Tango in Paris’ are, to me, just a few examples of this formula.”
His last short “Maxine” is a follow up to his short “When bart6874 met lulu5547,” which has screened in 13 film festivals and venues throughout Europe and North America including The Golden Door Film Festival and the New York City International Film Festival.
Born in the Philippines and raised in Passaic, NJ, MM studied filmmaking at Rutgers University. His screenplay "Talk Show" was staged at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe's Fifth Night Scriptreading series in March 1996 which led to a series of script reading jobs for companies such as Apostle Pictures, Foxboro and New Line Cinema.
He is a web content manager by trade and is a Black Belt in Seido Karate. Other hobbies include short story writing, traveling and BRAM. He is married and based in New York City.
26 June 2018 - An in depth interview and his life and work US Blasting News.
Filmography as writer/director/editor:
- "Open House" (2011 - color, 11 minutes, dark comedy) - A shady realtor tries to pass off a haunted apartment.
- "She" (2006 - color, 11 minutes, dark comedy) Murder at a karaoke party! DVD only
- "An Open Position" (2001 - b/w, 20 minutes, comedy/drama) - An office love triangle that spans a 9-5 work day. DVD only
- "Whiskers" (student film - claymation, a giant mouse invades a castle)
- "Showered" (student film - animation, a lovely walk on the beach)
- "Ritual" (student film - experimental short about couple's foot massage routine)
- "Dinner with Matt" (student film - an experimental short about food and loneliness)
MM plays bass with his band at his own wedding reception
MAKILALA TV INTERVIEW - SUMMER 2015
PRESS - online magazine articles and interviews
- Pinoy Filmmaker Building on Career Momentum - Filipino Express
- Uptown filmmaker makes waves at Film Festivals - DNAInfo
- "Bart and Lulu" on Markee online magazine
- Filmmaker Michael Manese goes raw, edgy in adult flick ‘Maxine’
- Fil-Am short film about an undocumented immigrant featured at NYC film fest
FilAm’s edge short lm wades into immigration, sex, race, white privilege - Inquirer.net
Movie about Filipino maid to be featured at New York event - Asia Times